Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Reader Response 1: Huck Finn (1-6)

The theme I picked from "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" is Relationship to parents. The quote that i found from "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" is from pap, when he is yelling at Huck for going to school. "Well, I'll learn her how to meddle. And looky here-you drop that school, you hear? I'll learn people to bring up a boy to put on airs over his own father and let ion to be better'n what he is. You lemme catch you fooling around that school again, you hear?(Chapter 5, Pg. 15, Paragraph 2) That quote to me means his father doesn't want him to go to school because he didn't go to school and he doesn't wants his own son to be smarter than him.

The quote that pap said is kinda of sad because he doesn't even want his own son to get a good education and get a good job just because he is a low life drunk. I can't relate this to my own life because my dad yells at me if I don't go to school. In this case Huck gets a cowhide if he doesn't stop going to school. If i was Huck's parent I would tell him to do what he wants but its all going to reflect on his future but I would still make him go to school though. This quote relates the the theme of relationship to parents because he doesn't have a good relationship with his pap but we don't know how he got along with his mother. If i was Huck i would go to school and run away everyday after so pap couldn't find me.

I think Mark Twains thoughts about this quote are that his father is harsh and cruel and he doesn't deserve to have his son in custody. I think that this quote relates to Mark Twain in some way. Maybe his father didnt want him to go to school because he wanted him to work instead and make a good living for himself and have money. i think Mark Twain wrote this book and quote to show how life really is for some people. Not all people have it all and some people can't even afford to go to a good school or get good close.

No comments: